Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Study finds Older motorcyclists are more likely to be injured

+2
ellie
SteveCat
6 posters

Go down

Study finds Older motorcyclists are more likely to be injured Empty Study finds Older motorcyclists are more likely to be injured

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 07 2013, 12:30

link something to look forward to Crying or Very sad
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Study finds Older motorcyclists are more likely to be injured Empty Re: Study finds Older motorcyclists are more likely to be injured

Post  ellie Thu Feb 07 2013, 13:14

Er......they do come out with some waste of time studies!!

Is it not obvious that older peoples bones are going to be easier to break, take longer to mend & cause long lasting problems?

50% of over 75's that break a hip will be dead within a year.

Keep yer bones in good condition chaps.

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Study finds Older motorcyclists are more likely to be injured Empty Re: Study finds Older motorcyclists are more likely to be injured

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 07 2013, 13:56

That's what I thought Ellie, amazing what grants researchers can get.

ellie wrote:Keep yer bones in good condition chaps.

Might seem obvious, but some tips on how we do that might be handy Ellie.

Over 10 years ago, whilst still in the far off land, I was at the dentist - he'd just done an x-ray and went and fetched my GP (all in one medi-clinc place). They concluded my bones were decaying faster than normal, so since then I've been taking a calcium supplement. Like to think it's been working.

The older we get the less we bounce, well at least in my case. When I had my off, my weight Shocked and the bike on top of me didn't leave much chance for bouncing though Wink
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Feb 07 2013, 14:00

Cracking find Steve.

Having problems with my knees...Too much volleyball and badminton and two extra stone probably doesn't help either.

Tiddly winks, scrabble, chess and poker from now on I think.

Need to keep biking though I sort of keeps me sane..... sort of.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Thu Feb 07 2013, 14:17

Speaking from experience, I can definitely state that I do'nt bend very well nowadays, and certainly have lost a lot of upper body strength (was never very strong anyway) but am still managing ok. imho
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Feb 07 2013, 15:23

terry lees wrote:Speaking from experience, I can definitely state that I do'nt bend very well nowadays, and certainly have lost a lot of upper body strength (was never very strong anyway) but am still managing ok. imho

Funny that I was sure you were a bender Wink

If I can do half the things you manage and fart twice as less I'll be happy Terry Smile
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Feb 07 2013, 17:43

Since I had that nasty lingering cold coughs thingy that wouldn't go away I've been hitting the multi vitamins with added iron, cod liver oil tablets, garlic tablets, actimel daily, more milk, all sorts and hopefully that and my new eating habits now I'm getting on a bit should help...... Oh and giving up the tabs as well helps!!

We'll see, it can't do any harm can it now??

Oh and I've even signed up for the Manchester 10k in May so something to train for, (and a shameless plug for potential sponsors !!).

Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Thu Feb 07 2013, 17:45

Smile Old... tongue i am only 29 Smile
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1310
Hobbies : Tattoos, PS4, Airsoft
Humour : dark humour
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Feb 07 2013, 17:59

No need to take supplements really, mainly excercise strengthens bones and generally a healthy diet helps.

Its more of a risk for women due to lack of oestrogen but you men have enough problems when you get older with your prostates lol.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down