Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My First cat

+14
robertcains
gazz770
ellie
Mapman
mrfrance
past-it
HEHORE
stretchie_
weasley
SteveCat
Snowcat
Rosco
TomCom
Dean-J
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

My First cat - Page 2 Empty My First cat

Post  Dean-J Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:37

First topic message reminder :

Figured i'd throw up a thread for my new baby, so here she is:

My First cat - Page 2 20120206_123336

My First cat - Page 2 20120206_123356-1

Picked her up This time last week for the princely sum of £1500.

40k miles, FSH + Extra servicing and brakes overhaul etc.

First thing i did was to bin the crappy headlight bulb, and (temporarily) chuck in a H4 HID that i had lying around from an old VW Golf. Difference is amazing, i can actually see enough to be able to ride comfortably at night!

My First cat - Page 2 20120210_222712

On Sunday i went out for a proper ride with one of my usual riding buddies Chris, on his CBR600RR. As we started pushing on i could feel the bike wasnt quite right. she was twitchy at times, yet slow to react at others, and was hard work getting her "right" in the corners. Thinking it was probably just me on a new bike i carried on, until i had a rather brown pants moment involving a hairpin, pushing out wide, and an oncoming 4x4.... affraid

So i made it home, and today me and Chris had a look over the suspension and set up, which was set waaaay too soft for a lump like me! Matey before me was about 5'8" and probably 10stone soaked through, whereas im 6'1" and about 15stone.

We managed to get the Preload and rebound damping set all round, but the front left Compression dampening adjuster is seized solid, so we left that as it was, and the rear shock compression damper is also bust, It just clicks endlessely and makes no odds to the shock at all.

just adjusting the rebound and preload though has made a massive difference. The bike no longer feels nose heavy, and is a lot easier to set up into the corners, so hopefully that will keep me out of trouble until i get chance to replace the rear shock and sort the front left out. Will probably go for a full rebuild and revalve on the fronts, and keep my eyes peeled for a Maxton etc rear.

Quick pic of the 'Cat with the RR, just because i can:

My First cat - Page 2 20120212_122307

Also today we sorted a few other niggles out, Chain was too tight so that was adjusted, rear brake was semi seized so that was free'd up, lubed and put back together, Brake lever was adjusted as it was too high for my Pasty feet, Throttle free play was adjusted to stop it sticking slightly, and clutch lever was adjusted also.

And whilst we were at it, i pulled the chipped and faded yellow rimtape off ( was a bit garish against the blue for my tastes if im honest), and replaced with some nice reflective blue stuff just to see how it looked. Ill need to redo a couple of bits as its a tad wonky in places, but im chuffed with how it looks so it will be staying. Smile

Yellow can be seen in pics above.

Blue:

My First cat - Page 2 20120213_153311

And what drivers will see at night when lights on it:

My First cat - Page 2 20120213_153320

Pretty much all thats happened at the mo, will update this as and when bits get done/Broken/fixed! Laughing
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 244
Humour : Filthy!
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

My First cat - Page 2 Empty Re: My First cat

Post  Snowcat Fri Mar 16 2012, 18:43

Ref above
Dean-J wrote:If he pulls off a finish like the three bikes he was doing today ( and he's guaranteed me he will) then i will be a happy happy man indeed, especially next month when i get the rest of the bike re done!

You put this on the other thread mate, surely this gives you some grounds for reproach with the bodyshop/painter in question?? Don't take the sh*t off em, threaten both with trading standards and watchdog, whoever, mainly stamp your feet and leave with the result you want and deserve

Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Fri Mar 16 2012, 18:59

Not really fella... what he said and what hes done are 2 completely different things. i may well just ask for the cost of the work in cash and have my own painter do a full gp rep... see how things go!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Fri Mar 16 2012, 20:14

Just been on phone to another painter.... this may work out alright after all....

Something along lines of this could well be on cards:

My First cat - Page 2 Speedblockpaintidea
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  gazz770 Fri Mar 16 2012, 21:50

red block love it when funds get a bit better that is what I want.
gazz770
gazz770
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 42
Hobbies : Carp Fishing
Registration date : 2012-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sat Mar 17 2012, 00:00

Well i have decided i might take a bit of a gamble with this....

it may well be cheaper and easier for all involved to just order a pre painted set of fairings from china in the above colour scheme, that way leaving me with the standard fairings to keep safe/sell. A friend has one of the china kits on his bike, and apart from a couple small bits that dont quite line up right, its pretty good quality tbh. And in fairness he made no effort to trim down the bits that didnt quite fit right, he just chucked em on and left it at that, so with a bit of time filing and shaping tabs etc it *should* be ok. Going to talk to the painter first on monday, see how much its gonna cost to get it done properly, and if its megabucks, i may take the cheap and easy route for now and get the original placcys repainted for when/if i come to sell the bike...
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Sat Mar 17 2012, 07:40

well i hope it all works out for you, and make sure you get what you should from the shop
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sat Mar 17 2012, 09:11

Some pics of the crappy job/colour match:

My First cat - Page 2 20120316_131132

My First cat - Page 2 20120316_131150

My First cat - Page 2 20120316_131155

My First cat - Page 2 20120316_131205

Pedantic? Yes, quite probably. But she was perfect when she went in there, so i dont see why i should accept anything else now!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sat Mar 17 2012, 10:14

That's shoddy work. I'd be gutted too Dean, Stand your ground and don't settle for second best. Even I can spot what a rubbish job that is. Good luck with getting the job done right.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sat Mar 17 2012, 10:25

As a painter with 25yrs experience (yes I am old lol) that's awful & will now require completely stripping back to primer & new decals & they are not cheap.
He will know he has ballsed it up & the buck stops with him & not the guy who damaged it imo.
Like you say get a quote for rectification & see if you can get the cash out of him.
Good luck great
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sat Mar 17 2012, 11:47

Painter is simply shirking responsibility, says go talk to the guy whos paying for it. Guy that damaged it says go talk to the painter. Getting pissed off with this right about now!

Although i had a look on RS paints website, and the paint is a 2 stage paint needing a specific basecoat to get the deep blue pearl that y paint is missing.... guess what... yep, you guessed right, he just whacked a single colour coat on top of grey primer. that'll be why its wrong then will it!

Been on phone to Fowlers, Genuine decals for tank are gonna cost £155.06. Paint is a further £68 not including lacquer, or labour. So we're already at £218.06.... no way its gonna be prepped and painted for less than what £100?

so im gonna push for him giving me £280 and ill put the other £50 in for a full fairing set from china.
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sat Mar 17 2012, 11:53

The point is though that none of this is your fault and in good faith you left your bike with a reputable garage, is it time to get your half an hour free advice from a solicitor?

Or threaten the painter with the small claims court.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sat Mar 17 2012, 11:58

That's right Dean, its a three stage pearl which requires the ground coat & then with the second coat you keep applying layers until the correct shade is satisfactory, this is done by either test cards or holding another piece of bodywork against the tank for a colour match reference.
My guess looking at the poor masking around the decals is that he has attempted to paint it more than once due to his inability to match the colour hence the large edge around the decals.
One hundred percent the buck stops with the painter & his poor workmanship.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sat Mar 17 2012, 12:56

I have emailed Andrew Campbell of BikeLawyer.co.uk, he is MCN's forum Legal adviser, so will see what he thinks the chances are of getting a satisfactory outcome through legal action.
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sat Mar 17 2012, 13:23

I'm a little puzzled at how the painter can say its the mechys problem, the painter was presented with a damaged panel & took the job on saying he could make it good again, he has single handedly failed to do that.
Good luck with the advice, is the painter a member of any motor industry groups such as the RMI? He may have some signs up or info on his website.
If you still get no joy the devil in me says stand outside his business ( but not on his land ) & 'educate' his customers as they arrive by showing them his brilliant handywork.
If you were not so far away I'd offer to take a proper look at it to see if I could help you out.
ponder
Naming & shaming him won't do his business any favours
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Mar 17 2012, 16:02

I agree with the naming and shaming. A few years ago I bought a car from
A very reputable dealer. At the time of the test drive I suggested to brakes weren't up to scratch and they said they'd look at them. On collecting the car was told the pads had been replaced. To maintain the warranty I took it back to be serviced 6 months later and imagine my surprise when I got a call asking for authorisation to replace the brake pads. Despite my obvious concerns etc they refused to replace them gratis claiming they never said they had replaced them In the first place. Even the manager wasn't playing ball.

So I kept calm drove away and returned the following day with brake pads and a sign stating my thoughts of the attitude of the service department and after sales service. Parked RIGHT in the middle of the forecourt, jacked the car up and started replacing my own brake pads for all to see. Only to happy to stop and talk to customers arriving and leaving about why I'd think twice about buying a car from there.

It wasn't long before the franchise manager appeared offered to do the pads as a good will gesture and quickly ushered me away.

Result!! Smile

Stick to your guns and you'll get your result. Best of luck
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sat Mar 17 2012, 18:28

Yep i see your points guys, however until i have had a satisfactory outcome to this situation, i will not be naming and shaming.

Dont get me wrong, if they piss me about any more and i have to take legal action, the very second i have a cheque in my hand i will do everything in my power to make said parties lives hell. But im not going to cut my nose off to spite my face so to speak, i want a good outcome and my urges to get even come 2nd to my urge to have my bike looking pretty again!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Mon Mar 19 2012, 09:22

Took the chance yesterday to get some pictures of the shoddy workmanship, but i cba to put them all up, you get the genereal idea from the ones iv already posted...

But, here's my DIY tailtidy fitted with smaller plate, and reflectors.... Wink

My First cat - Page 2 20120318_164954-1

My First cat - Page 2 20120318_165026-1
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Mon Mar 19 2012, 09:29

Is the reflector on you indicator steam ? , and gotta say I love the tag on the bottom of the plate
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Mon Mar 19 2012, 09:38

Sure is matey Smile reflective fishing rod tip stickers Smile
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Tue Mar 20 2012, 13:31

Right, been to see the garage today, and he has offered to have the painter redo the tank and cowl. He would not listen to any other ideas, nor was he willing to have the tank painted by someone of my choosing.

He did however agree to have the proper decals ordered direct from Yamaha, and also to have the right paint ordered in so no chances of a mismatch on colour.

I have since been to see the painter, helped him to find the correct paint, and made expressly clear what i want from him in terms of the finished product.

Both have been told that this is their last chance to rectify the problems, and that if i am not satisfied with the outcome this time i will not hesitate in taking them to court.

Will be a week or two before the decals arrive from yamaha, so wont be any updates for a while, but fingers crossed its done properly this time!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Mar 20 2012, 14:42

Yeah best of luck mate, hope it all works out for you
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Tue Mar 20 2012, 14:44

fingers crossed for you! hopefully this time everything turns out all fine and dandy
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Mar 20 2012, 14:58

Best of luck , hope it all goes well
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Tue Mar 20 2012, 20:29

well they know whats gonna happen if it doesn't!!!! Smile

had a proper arse end slide earlier, glad the cat took it in her stride or id have a whole bike to repair an not just a tank! Laughing how the hell i didnt come off i dont know Shocked
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Mar 21 2012, 04:40

Good job cats have 9 lives and always land on their feet.
We'll let rider skill take some of the credit too.
Every day's a school day.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Thu Mar 22 2012, 06:52

Thanks Rosco, but im really not sure i can take any credit on this one, Just held the throttle where she was and prayed Laughing

Rosco could you do me a favour fella and chuck up a picture of your bike/mirrors? Spotted you mentioned in a thread about thunderace mirrors, could be just what im looking for to solve the elbows only rear view scenario!

cheers
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: