Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does Advanced Training work? What to expect.

4 posters

Go down

How does Advanced Training work? What to expect. Empty How does Advanced Training work? What to expect.

Post  SteveCat Fri Feb 12 2010, 18:09

I've been skirting this for a while, but maybe one day I'll take the plunge and go for an IAM or Rospa test.

For IAM, I see there is an initial assessment, but what happens between that and the test? Do you join in the chosen groups' ride-outs and take it from there, and when considered ready take the test?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

How does Advanced Training work? What to expect. Empty Re: How does Advanced Training work? What to expect.

Post  Guest Fri Feb 12 2010, 19:26

Hey Steve,

Nige is probably best qualified to answer this question for you! With our group (and i assume its the same for everyone) you are assigned to an observer and the 2 of your get together for sessions and they will ride with you one to one and run through what you need to be looking at - give you feedback on your riding - observation etc - sure nige will explain this better than me - we also have a sheet which is given to the associate at the end of each ride with the things that your observer has gone over with you - our group, in the better weather - has the weekly observed runs where you all meet up - you may get to go out with your own observer you may get a different one and there may be more than one associate with the observer in which case you'll probably swap the running order as you go along that way you get to ride with different people... in the interim between the group sessions and your own with your observer you're expected to work on the things from your sheet the aim being to consistently get ticks in all the A boxes (well assuming the sheets are set out similarly) when your observer thinks you're ready you'll get x-checked by a senior observer and if they're happy they'll put you in for your 'test'
Like i say - Nige will no doubt fill in the gaps and correct my mistakes green smile

I'd also like to say that i personally found it very worthwhile and i feel my riding has improved dramatically for doing it. great
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

How does Advanced Training work? What to expect. Empty Re: How does Advanced Training work? What to expect.

Post  andyb Fri Feb 12 2010, 19:31

I contacted my local IAM's group a few weeks ago, from my understanding you get an assessed ride then you get assigned an observer.

The observer then takes you out one on one to prepare you for your advance test. I believe it costs £130 and possibly the fuel costs for you observer Very Happy

I did also contact my local RoSPA group too but they never got back too me! Crying or Very sad
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Feb 13 2010, 10:09

andyb wrote:I did also contact my local RoSPA group too but they never got back too me! Crying or Very sad
Thats one big thumbs down for RoSPA then ! Seems their admin is up their hoop . . . . . seven golden "P's" spring to mind.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Sat Feb 13 2010, 10:55

0ldcat wrote:
andyb wrote:I did also contact my local RoSPA group too but they never got back too me! Crying or Very sad
Thats one big thumbs down for RoSPA then ! Seems their admin is up their hoop . . . . . seven golden "P's" spring to mind.

Excatly, it's hardly difficult to answer a feed questions via email wall

What I do know about RoSPA though is you have retake there every year I think, in order to keep you current but with IAMS it's a one off test and that's it Very Happy
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 13 2010, 11:55

[quote="andyb"][quote="0ldcat"]
andyb wrote:I

What I do know about RoSPA though is you have retake there every year I think, in order to keep you current but with IAMS it's a one off test and that's it Very Happy
..... but if you don't keep it up and keep involved you'll likely to find your skills slip.

as for fuel costs ...... every group is different ..... ours don't tend to do that (well they always said no thanks whenever i offered lol) your registration fee includes the cost of your test regardless of how long it may/may not take you to get to test standard - and you get the handbook which they've recently updated and is pretty good
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sat Feb 13 2010, 20:30

Thanks, getting a feel for how it works now.

I was a little confused by the local group websites' description. There are monthly planned assessments with what they call pot-luck, so I guess you can have a different assessor each time. There was a mention of a card, so that will be the ability sheet.
What floored me was the 'Essex Girls' term, as they put it 'will go with anyone', still not sure what that is, but possibly be ad hoc rides/ assessments at other times.

Best I contact them and tryout a day (if I can) and see if it is for me.

The Rospa idea of retests every 3 years isn't a bad thing, but I am happy with a pass level and not be graded in one of thrre categories - we all have room for improvement, I don't want to aspire to gold then cogitate ;-(
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bignige Sun Feb 14 2010, 09:28

Hi Steve,
The skill for life package is £139.00 this includes all the books, a years membership of the IAM, a years membership of the local group & the test fee.
As Suzzie says all that the is after that is a contribution to the observer fuel if the groups policy is that they expect one ( our don't but bear in mind the observers are unpaid volunteers & will take folks out as may times as is needed )
Individual groups vary, there is an official "drive/ride test " you can book but some groups will offer a taster / assesment free & I think having a look to see if it's your thing is a good idea.
The main thing to remember that the observers are not instructers & they will give hints, tips & advice to prepare you for the test they will not tell you what to do or give you instructions (other than dirrections) The whole process should be enjoyable for both parties.
Basicaly you will be shown how to ride to the to the emergency services system of vehicle control - Roadcraft (obviously without the speed element).
It is not about nocking you back to zero or treating people like beginers, just sharing thier experience & training & working with you to refine your current skill level to the IAM standard.

You mainly do all your sessions with your allocated observer, the free for all are optinal but you do get a second opinion.
Normal practice is to have a cross check with a senior observer before going for the test.
The main critera the examiner is looking for is to chech you are SAFE, SYSTEMATIC, SMOOTH & PROGRESSIVE.

Some groups have hugely active social scenes, others exist just to do the The skill for life.

You can ave a look here for more info &you local group [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers Nigel.
bignige
bignige
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 112
Hobbies : Pies, Beer n Bikes
Humour : The Beatings will continue until Morale improves !
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 14 2010, 12:06

SteveCat wrote:
What floored me was the 'Essex Girls' term, as they put it 'will go with anyone', still not sure what that is, but possibly be ad hoc rides/ assessments at other times.

I take it you've said Essex Girl not them ... i was going to say putting something like that on their site is hardly likely to make lasses feel welcome!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Feb 14 2010, 22:07

Thanks Nige for the clarification.

Suzie, it is a term they use. I probably quoted them out of context.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 17 2010, 16:26

Well, taken the plunge and signed up with IAM - will be joining the London Advanced Motorcycle group (LAM).

Turns out I already know some of the LAM guys as they are also Unity Support Riders.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17 2010, 20:15

Good on you Steve, let us know how you get on ....... Andy what about you Smile your 'local' group would be our group (mine and Nige) so you'd see us there so why don't you arrange to come one evening and see what you think? We're a great group green smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Sat Mar 20 2010, 13:26

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:Good on you Steve, let us know how you get on ....... Andy what about you Smile your 'local' group would be our group (mine and Nige) so you'd see us there so why don't you arrange to come one evening and see what you think? We're a great group green smile

I am looking at doing it next month so I shall see ya there great

It would've been sooner but I have just been to busy to be fair, spent more time away from home and the bike than I would've liked wall
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 20 2010, 20:06

YAY great well, i'll be the (other) one with the red/black and white thundercat pmsl we meet round the corner from my house so least you'll know where to come if you ever fancy a coffee lol - i usually go to the tues eves unless i'm working
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 21 2010, 18:04

how does one sign up for this kind of thing?

a) my riding has gone to crap, i can filter as fast as anyone else but I was out in hampshire today getting scared by bends.
b) if half this forum is going to this iam thingy, it'd be a good chance to meet some of you and improve my riding.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Mar 21 2010, 20:16

Caitlin,

Go to the IAM website you can there. It'll cost you £139 which will give you the course materials as well as the subs for your local IAM group.
You may be a bit too far from Bromley to join in the LAM group - (not sure which side of the river you're on), thats where I'll be going.

Don't worry, I has having a cornering problem day today.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down